Friday, October 20, 2006

Sourdough Cure All

Friday, 20 October 2006
The day started out perfectly. I was in Billings for the teacher conference in Billings. I drove into Billings Wednesday night after supper so I wouldn't have to get up before dawn on Thursday to drive in. So I was rested and was able to enjoy the sessions I attended. I got a lot of great ideas for books to purchase for our students. Friday, I didn't have a session I wanted to attend until 10:00, so dad made some sourdough pancakes. Pete must have known, or smelled them cooking so he got up early and we enjoyed a terrific breakfast, sourdough pancakes, orange juice and good company. I left for Skyview High School at 9:00, because I hate being late or feeling rushed. I got to Skyview around 9:20 and spent 20-25 minutes looking for parking. I almost decided to "ditch" classes and go back when I spotted a reasonable space on the street and I got to the classroom 10 minutes early, not rushed at all. It was worth it too, because I won a free book and got a great new publisher. By then the sky was looking very threatening and rain was in the forecast. The wind had picked up and the bite of cold air had memories of snow in it. When I ran into some colleagues from Colstrip, they said they were heading out because the weather was looking bad. Well, I decided that since I didn't have another session until 1:00, I might as well head out too. I went back to the house and told dad and Pete that I'd decided to head out after lunch instead of waiting until 4:00 or so. We saw the weather report on the noon news and it said snow was coming, then we went to ARBYS for some lunch, came back to the house, not forgeting to load up on lettuce and green tomatoes. So far, so good????

I had one more errand to run before heading out of town. Get the oil in my car changed. I headed out on 24th to the MasterLube on King Ave. On the way down 24th I spotted a store I'd never noticed before, Coldwater Creek. I've purchased some things from their catalog and they had 70% off signs on the windows, so I stopped. I swear it was only for 20 min. Then I drove to Master Lube and got in line. After waiting for 10 min. One of the service men came out and asked me to move to the other line. I obliged. I waited for another 10 minutes and another serviceman came out and asked me to backup and let the car in the other line move ahead of me since she had been waiting longer than I was. The reasoning was the the car in the bay at that line was getting a service that took 30 min. instead of the 10 it takes to get an oil change. I backed up and left altogether. I go to Master Lube for the convience; this was not so convient. I spotted WalMart across the street and decided to go over there for the oil change. At least I could pick up a few things on my list while I waited. It took 30 min to find the things on my list and 2 hours to get the oil changed. I was not a happy person at all.

So what lesson did I learn?
1. Don't ditch your classes?
2. Be patient and stay in line if you've already invested 20 minutes in waiting?
3. Don't be distracted by 70% off?
4. None of it matters because at the end of the day is the memory of having sourdough pancakes with my dad and little bro?

3 comments:

jcurmudge said...

And, me? I was just thinking how great it was to have some reason to "renew" my Starter. And I've been thinking about how good it was to be around while Lil Bro and his Sister got caught-up during the visit.

David, Laird of Kilnaish said...

Sigh, I can smell the fun from here.

Louise said...

I avoid Coldwater Creek stores because I can spend hours in there. I wish I had been there for breakfast for the good company.