Sunday, July 01, 2007

Mom's Recipes

This is a copy of a recipe I found in one of mom's homemade cookbooks. A few months after she died I brought the cookbooks home with me, planning to look through them and copy them for every one. They are a series of small photo albums that have clear plastic pockets in which you can insert a photo, or in this case a recipe card. I'm not sure if any of the recipes were used at work or just for home. Along with her handwritten cards are many, many recipes cut out from magazines. I think I'll just copy the handwritten ones. If you click on the picture, you should get a larger image that you can more easily read. This one appears to be for Orzo. I'm not even sure what Orzo is or if mom ever made it, but the card caught my eye. Anyone who knew her could imagine her noticing the little girl in the picture, and admiring it wanting to use it for something. This one made it to the recipe book. Other pictures would decorate small boxes or even get framed.

Some of the recipes are copied onto "recipe cards" and many others are copied onto the back of an envelope or a scrap of paper that has other notations made. This one is on the back of a postcard. I couldn't make out who the card was from as that part had been trimmed off.

I've copied them as both jpgs and PDFs because I wasn't sure which format would be best for sharing. If you have any ideas about that let me know. The project will take a while, but when I finished, I can burn them to a CD for anyone who would like them.


4 comments:

David, Laird of Kilnaish said...

Many thanks. PDF or JPG depends all on size to me. Which ever is best your you.

aniroo said...

I was thinking that if they were jpg, then people could manipulate the files more easily if they wanted to. For instance, but borders around some of them, clarify or brighten the image or imbed them in a virtual cookbook. I just wasn't sure if you could do any of those things with PDF.

Stephanie said...

Orzo is really tiny pasta. A little bit bigger than rice, and shaped kind of like a tear-drop. I made some orzo and wild rice stuffing for Thanksgiving. It was pretty good. :)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie is right, orzo is a little pasta. It is often part of Greek cooking. It cooks up to look like rice.

There are some great recipes with orzo, lamb, cinnamon and nutmeg :o)

I like pdf files cause they're the finished product. But, if you are transcribing the recipes, well I guess maybe jps would be OK. Although, another good thing about pdf files is that you can select all and then drop the text into a new document.