Saturday, October 13, 2007

PowerSchool Geek


Well, it's been an interesting week. I talked to a friend in the tech department on Monday and she told me that she'd resigned her position to take a job that had better benefits and was closer to home. I've worked with her over the past 8 years and she's taught me a lot about using our school's grade book/attendance program, PowerSchool. I've also learned a lot about how our computer network runs since I have a dozen computers in the library.

Anyway, a little later in the day, the head of the tech dept. is in the building and I say, "I hear that you are losing your sidekick." "Yeah," he says. "I'd think I'd like her job, " I say. Before the end of the day, he and his sidekick decide that I'm going to take over. She does a lot of other things, but her main job is setting up the grade book/attendance for each year and trouble shooting through out the year. I figured if I could do that from my computer in the library, I could at least do that part of her job. After all, she's got the whole year already set up. I'd be able to do some on the job training before I'd have to do anything next year. And she's just an email away if I start to get in over my head.

So to make a long story short (I can give you the long version in person if you really want to hear it) I started training to use the PowerSchool program on Friday and will continue to train until she leaves on Oct. 26.

Wish me luck. It is a beast of a program and if I make mistakes, it affects the whole district!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops, what was that old adage about never volunteer :o)

Actually sounds like a good way to keep interested!

Anonymous said...

Nice work^.^ I'm sure you will do fine.
-Drew

jcurmudge said...

No better time in life to take on something new. I think I was around your age when I bcame a full time Dean.

David, Laird of Kilnaish said...

And when you retire, you can travel for PowerSchool as a trainer!

Louise said...

Most excellent. Sounds like fun. I have always said that there is no mistake that can't be rectified so don't worry about it. :-) You are going to do a great job.