Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sad Day

It was snowing yesterday and I was supposed to go to the dentist later in the afternoon. Midmorning the snow was coming down pretty hard and had been all morning. A coworker came from working at one of the schools with the news that Larry's daughter had been killed on the divide in a car accident. I don't know the daughter, but I have worked with Larry for many years now. I had seen his daughter perform her Jingle Dress dance many times; she was a good dancer. Part of the dance is that the drummers will change the beat without warning and the dancer has to respond in midbeat to keep dancing. The drummers will end the song without warning and the dancer has to stop dancing with the last beat. She did. It takes nerves of steel, legs like pistons, and feet that can flirt with the beat. She had them all, and a father who never took his eyes off her when she danced.

After I heard the news, I cancelled my appointment. Hannah and 3 other young people in our community died on the roads yesterday. It was a sad day.

No comments: