Thursday, April 27, 2006

Confessions of a Lipitor Eater

I was reading the newspaper today,the dead tree version, when I skimmed over the advice from a doctor collumn. The first letter was from a woman who said she was taking Lipitor and she knew that it could cause problems with short term memory. She'd stopped taking it, but her colestrol levels went up. What should she do? The doctor said that he knew about the problem of short term memory being affected by Lipitor. How come my doctors never knew? Lots of times when I was having a regular checkup I would mention to the doctor that I was having trouble remembering things. Just getting older he would say. It wasn't until I was having a conversation with other Lipitor eaters in the family that one of them mentioned that Lipitor was causing some negative side affects involving memeory. At least that's what I think he said..... Well, it was almost time to get my lipids checked so I told my doctor I wanted to change my medication and I started taking Lopid again. My memory has cleared up and so have most of joint related aches and pains. Now if I can just remember . . . .

6 comments:

jcurmudge said...

I also read that article with interest. I even remember reading it. Now if I could only remember the last name of the guy I saw at the grocery store last night. Thank goodness he had a name tag with his first name. I really think my problems there are "old" age at 81.

jiffypete said...

with no meds and I see a table tonight and think I just got sat a new table and as I go over the cocktail is bringing the drinks that I have ordered and the guests are eating the app I order for them. What my excuse?

Anonymous said...

I always say, "I have a good memory, it's just short".

I too have stopped lipitor and have started on lovastatin. Not really noticing much improvement. Let me know how the lopid works on the lipids.

aniroo said...

My numbers are acutally down since starting the lopid.

Louise said...

This Lipitor eater is very interested in the changes. My memory has gotten very bad which isn't good as I am having to change my work habits. It works really well on my cholesterol levels but if it is the possible cause of some of my pain that I contribute to Fibromyalgia, I will be willing to try something else.

aniroo said...

I must make a further confession. At the same time I switched to Lopid, I started taking a "fish OIl" pill and I continued with the Zetia. So I suppose it could be the fish oil that was the cause of the changes.