Monday, April 10, 2006

MONDAYS!

Now one might expect that an article titled Monday would be nothing but bad news. But this Monday has been a good news day for me, so I thought I'd share it. It started off with me finding a box on my desk when I got to work. I'd been gone last Thurs. & Fri., so I'm not sure when it arrived. Anyway it was a box of chess software I'd won in an essay contest,for my school. I wish I could find a copy of the essay, but I got the software, so who cares? Only one essay was chosen from each state and I know that there were at least 2 essays from Montana, mine and Bill's, so it wasn't a total given that I'd win.

Then there was my evaluation. I'd kinda been worrying about it all weekend, not much,just wanted it over with. I haven't been evaluated as a classroom teacher for many, many years. It was to have been this morning during 1st period. So I started my class,and 4 out of 15 students were there. I asked them if maybe the rest of the class got the dates wrong for our vacation, which is next week. One of the girls shrugged her shoulder and said, "It's Monday." Whatever. Anyway the two principals show up; I'd only been expecting one, and one of them says. "You know I was suppose to be evaluating you this morning?"
"Well, yeah."
"Well the office scheduled all those meeting for students who missed more than 18 days this semester for this morning. So I won't be able to evaluate you this morning."
"Whatever." I actually expected this. Not the specifics, just that my evaluation would be cancelled. That's one reason I didn't plan a big song and dance like usual. It's normal for everything to not go as it is expected. Our students are actually very good students. They learn from our example. Why should they bother to come to class on time or be prepared? The staff isn't. Well, the good news is that I was prepared to present a lesson to my students and class continued. The principal can just drop in whenever he doesn't have something more important to do.

So I give the assignment and all the students are busy writing when the phone rings. It's the principal from Ashland Public School. He called to tell me that tomorrow night,in all probability, the Ashland School Board will offer me a contract for next year as a librarian/Eng teacher. The Lame Deer School Board meets on 13 April and I'm tenured so they have to give me a contract. This may be the only time in my life when I have two schools offering me a contract. Ain't it nice to be wanted?

3 comments:

David, Laird of Kilnaish said...

That is way cool! To bad they won't fight over you w/ money! I don't supose you start back at Ashland with tenure since you had it before?

jcurmudge said...

Tenure or not. Think of the money saved in commuting. Plus Dad won't have to worry about a snowy pass in the middle of winter.

Louise said...

Terrific! It will be nice to know we don't have to worry about you in the winter, if you take the Ashland job, that is. I've always wanted companies to battle over me.